Are you troubled by dark eye circles or bags under your eyes? Do they make you feel self-conscious when looking in the mirror? You’re not alone. Dark under eye is a common concern among men and women across the world.
Dark circles often show up when you are stressed or did not have a restful night’s sleep. However, there could be several other underlying causes behind the dark circles under your eyes. Some of these causes can be easily remedied while others might take a bit of extra effort. If you’d like to know more about what causes dark circles and how you can prevent and treat them effectively, keep reading!
What Leads to the Formation of Dark Circles?
With age, your skin loses elasticity and becomes thin, creating hollows around the eyes. It leads to shadowing, making the surrounding skin look dark. You could also have genetically inherited the dark circles from your parents or a close relation up in the lineage. Another uncontrollable factor causing dark circles is your skin colour. People with darker skin tones are genetically inclined towards hyperpigmentation around the eyes leading to pronounced dark circles.
Among the controllable reasons behind dark circles under your eyes, the first is fatigue caused by lack of sleep and oversleeping. Unbelievable but true, staying up beyond your bedtime can also result in a dark under eye. If your job demands you to stay glued to a screen for long hours, you could end up with dark eye circles. Excessive exposure to the sun triggers an overproduction of melanin in your body that shows up under your eyes as dark circles.
These apart, medical conditions like skin allergies, anaemia due to iron deficiency and a dysfunctional thyroid can also cause dark rings to form under the eyes.
Also, Read Effective Ways of Getting Rid Of Adult Acne
How to prevent dark circles?
Let us explore the preventive measures that can help you keep dark circles at bay.
- Maintain an appropriate sleep cycle to allow your body to rejuvenate. Your skin looks pale when you don’t sleep well, resulting in the tissues and blood vessels showing up underneath your eyes, making the skin appear dark.
- Reduce eyestrain by taking a break from your screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule where you break your view every 20 minutes to look at an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- When stepping outdoors during daytime, make sure to apply a good sunscreen to block out the harmful sun rays that damage the sensitive skin around the eyes. It’s a good idea to pick a mineral sunscreen with titanium or zinc oxide as they won’t sting your eyes.
- For added protection, invest in a good pair of sunglasses that covers your eye area adequately, shielding it from the harsh sun.
- An effective dark circles solution is to keep yourself hydrated to maintain soft and supple skin. Dryness under your eyes can lead to redness and puffiness, ultimately leading to dark circles.
- Set a limit for your smoking and alcohol consumption. Smoking blows up the oxygen required by your skin to look fresh, thus making it age faster. Alcohol disrupts your sleep cycle and dehydrates the skin. In both cases, the thin under eye skin bears the brunt·
- Dark circles can also result from unaddressed deficiencies and underlying health conditions. Consult your physician to rule out these issues or get medications or dietary changes to remedy the root causes.
These were some preventative measures against dark circles. What can you do to get rid of dark circles if you already have them?
Recommended Anti-Aging Treatment
How to cure dark circles
The best treatment for dark circles is making some lifestyle changes. Besides sleeping well and taking care of your nutrition, simple tricks like a cold compress, topical application of cucumber slices and used tea bags work well to reduce dark circles. Skincare products containing natural antioxidants can also help to remove dark circles under your eyes.
If your problem persists even after taking preventive and remedial care, it is time for professional dark circle treatment. Consult a dermatologist to identify the underlying reasons that might be causing your under eye pigmentation and dark circles. Besides, the specialist recommended skin-lightening cream, and laser therapy can also help remove dark circles with occur due skin darkening or pigmentation , dark circles due to loss of underlying tissues can be corrected through a filler and underlying gfc /prp treatment which help in rejuvenation and formation of underlying supporting tissues under the eyes.
Wish to take your first step toward bidding your dark circles a goodbye? Book a consultation with us today!